Last updated on: Sep 23, 2020
Cruising the Nile and passing ancient scenery that has changed very little in centuries was one of the most amazing experiences I’ve ever had. It felt like I had sailed back in time. So, it’s no surprise that cruising the Nile should is a must-do activity when visiting Egypt. But how do you find the best luxury Nile cruise ships when there are so many?
Related post: Best Red Sea Resorts in Egypt
There is heavy security along the Nile as well as metal detectors for entry into attractions, hotels, and cruise ships. In Egypt, you should exercise the same precautions as you would in other parts of the world.
Nile cruises range in price from $75 per night for a basic ship to more than $1,000 per night for the most luxurious Nile cruise ships. The Nile cruise ships recommended below are all in the realm of $500+ per night.
When it comes to booking one of these trips, there are a ton of Nile cruise ships to choose, and seemingly, most of them have a 5-star deluxe designation. While practically all of these ships offer the same 3, 4, or 7-night itineraries either beginning in Aswan or Luxor, regardless of their star designation, all are certainly not equal.
To take the guesswork out of choosing the best Nile cruise ship, book one of these ten ships, and you can rest assured that you won’t be stuck on a deceptive, shabby old river boat with bad food, putting you at risk of catching Mummy Tummy! These ships offer an exceptional level of accommodations, food, onboard activities, and service.
1. M/S Esplanade – $$$ – This stunning, luxury ship is more like a boutique hotel on water. It has five decks and 62 cabins, and it sun deck is a place you’ll definitely want to hang out.
2. Farah – $$ – This modern ship has five decks and 62 cabins. The decor has the sophistication of a New York hotel.
3. Mayfair – $$$ – Like its sister boat, the M/S Esplanade, the Mayfair offers incredible luxury. The ship contains 74 cabins on 5 decks.
4. Mövenpick – $$$ – Mövenpick operates nine Nile cruise ships but not all are equal. The best value for luxury is Mövenpick’s MS Hamees, its largest ship with 72 beautifully appointed cabins. For a more exclusive experience, Mövenpick’s SB Feddya, with only four cabins, offers unparalleled service akin to cruising on a private yacht.
5. Nile Premium – $$ – This 60-cabin ship offers casual luxury as well as great value. The ship has several bar and lounges, a gym, and a reading room.
6. Oberoi – $$$$$ – Oberoi Hotels is synonymous with luxury, and its 27-cabin Zahra luxury Nile cruiser is no exception. Oberoi also operates the Oberoi Philae luxury Nile cruiser, which has 22 cabins.
7. Sanctuary Retreats – $$$$ – Sanctuary Retreats operates four luxury cruise ships along the Nile, and all of them are fabulous. The Sanctuary Nile Adventurer has 32 cabins and a modern decor. With only 18 cabins, the Sanctuary Sun Boat III has been voted in the top 100 most beautiful boats in all the world. The Sanctuary Sun Boat IV brings art deco styling to its 40 cabins, and the exclusive six-cabin Sanctuary Zein Nile Chateau is only available as a private charter.
9. Sudan – $$$ – This 23-cabin Belle Epoque-era ship once housed Agatha Christie and is the standard of elegance. Throughout the ship are incredible woodwork and genuine period craftworks.
10. Uniworld River Tosca (bookable with package) – $$ – This all-suite ship has 41 luxury staterooms with French balconies and Egyptian cotton linens.
Have you taken a luxury Nile River cruise? How was your experience?
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that we may receive a small amount of income if you click the link and purchase something we have recommended. Clicking these links won’t cost you any extra money, and all opinions remain our own.